CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Just A Few Gripes

I went to the gas station last night to fill up my tank for the rest of the two days of carpooling for school....$113.00!!!! I could not believe it. I'm glad it's summer and sports are over and school will be done so I can just stay home and not drive anywhere. And of course I live in the hottest place on earth, so we couldn't even ride bikes to my mom's (maybe 5 miles) to swim without being dehydrated. Let alone we'd get killed by the cruddy drivers of Vegas on the main roads. And although I am extremely thankful for our mediocre temperatures the past week, I know the hundreds are on their way, and then the money I will be trying to save in gas will go to the gigantic electricity bill. Yep....I'm a bit irritable this morning, but now that it's out of my system...I think I'm good. :) I will ask myself one more time..."Why do I live here?". To all my friends who live anywhere other than Vegas....what are your utility bills like? Maybe I have a misconception that other places in the good 'ol U.S.A. are cheaper, when really I just need to deal with the reality of the times.

And one more thing....Kira told me this morning that tomorrow at her elementary graduation they are singing a song that made some of the kids in her class cry because it's called "It's Time to Say Goodbye". See...I'm already tearing up. That means tomorrow as I watch my baby end one chapter of her life, I will be a red eyed puffy mess for pictures. How sad is that song for a graduation? A friend of mine (hi Kell :) did something so creative for her kids last day of school. They had a BBQ by a fire pit in their backyard and her husband played games outside with the neighborhood kids. She totally inspired me to try and think of something creative to do with my kids for tomorrow. I would play with the neighbor kids...but they're all a bit weird and have cruddy mouths. (sorry...rude of me I know, but my kids don't really play outside...especially since Kelli moved my sons playmates up to Idaho...j/k) So give me some fun ideas if you can. I'm a bit brain dead because I've been so busy getting my teaching stuff together for signing my contract for teaching junior high next year. I just want them to have a good time...and of course not too much money involved :0)

This brings me to one more thing...originally I was hired to teach what I'm specialized in...life science. And now guess what? I'm teaching three classes of math and two of science. I have never taught junior high math in my life, so this will be an adventure. I have my final interview tomorrow (although I'm already hired...it's just the "make it official" thing). One more gripe...I looked in Trajan's yearbook...it was not my favorite thing that a bunch of girls left him their number and asked him to call this summer that they would "love to get together". Luckily for me, Trajan is VERY shy and will probably not even ask a girl out until he's a senior in high school, but how forward is that? And worst of all, I matched the girl's names to their pictures in the yearbook and they're totally cute. I'm not sure I'm going to like this teenage phase of life. I know...snoopy mom...but that's how I am--can't help it. Is there such thing as arranged marriages anymore? I'm sure between all of us we have enough to get everyone married to those we know....lol....just kidding, but wouldn't that be nice to have a say so?

So you are probably thinking to yourselves that either:

A. I'm having a bad day ...or B. I'm PMSing ha ha hee hee

The answer is neither...my friends who I call all the time know that I will go on forever talking about superfulous information that I'm sure they could do without. So I thought for today, I'd write it all down and let it go. Now I'm going to go watch Rapunzel with Celine and make some candy leis for Kira and her friends for graduation tomorrow. Thanks for being my listening audience. And don't forget....utility costs and creative end of school ideas....give me some replies blogging world :0)

9 comments:

Nau Willis said...

oh gosh becky! I feel the SAME way today for some reason. Im not sure if you have a fire bowl but we had one in L.A. and always had smores night. I cant wait to get one here in Vegas. NOT looking forward to the teenage girls leaving numbers for preston eeeeeek!!!! Oh and I just got our bill for May 170 something our bill in L.A. was 30 to 40 dollars average.

Kristin said...

Oh Becky, what a day. I filled my tank up today, and it was fifteen dollars more than your bill, so don't feel to bad. My good friend does a rootbeer float party on the last day of school. She greets her kids and the neighborhood outside when the bus drops them off with rootbeer floats and invited everyone from the ward over to celebrate as well. Don't worry about your bill, I bet it is close to our heating bill in the winter. I am so scared for the teenage girls, I have already seen them working with Andrew already, scary.

Leslie said...

Hey BECK! It's good to know that I am not the only one who has days like that. The gas thing is really unnerving... everytime I fill up I get sick to my stomach! As for graduation, it is VERY sad. Lindsey has been so sad all day. She says she is afraid she will cry tomorrow. I am so glad that she has Kira as her best friend, they are so cute and such good little girls! As for the forward girls, I am afraid you are "in for it" with your three handsome boys! Good luck! ;)

FAMILY FAMILY FAMILY said...

You...gripe??? I can't believe it! Thanks for that, it helped me feel somewhat normal! And as long as we're arranging our children's marriages, I already speak for your girls to marry some of my boys! And perhaps one of your boys for my girl. That's not too much to ask, is it???
Our utilities are not bad, BUT our state tax is a kicker. I sure miss living in Nevada for that reason! Some things here are so much less, while others are so much more. We feel like the cost of living is not much different in the end. Both places definitely have their benefits.
And you think I do great things with the kids? Nope. Maybe I forgot to mention on my post, I was sitting in the house being tired. Derrick was the one actually out interacting with the neighborhood. All I'm good for is FOOD! They know I'll feed them, but that's about it!
Maybe you all should come visit sometime, and we'll get your kids their fill of night games. I think you should get together with some great families (Edwards and Dillards come to mind) and have a pool party and barbecue to kick off summer. Wish we could be there. Have fun! You are awesome!!! kelli

FAMILY FAMILY FAMILY said...

Wo...sorry for the long comment (or commentary!). kelli

Don and Kelley said...

Becky, Don taught Jr. High School math. If you want to give him a call, I am sure he could help you out. You will be great. I wish you were there when Zach was there.

Laurie said...

Utility bills--could you install a swamp cooler to offset some of the AC costs and provide humidity? I was totally against it, but it was the cheapest solution and really does cool the place down. Maybe if you used that with the AC? I don't know--maybe it'd just leak out all of your cool AC air.

Gas--sucks! But remember this: if you fill up at Costco and use your Am Ex to get rewards, you only get rewards on the first $75 (otherwise it's classified as a non-automobile purchase). So, gas up to $75, then stop and start the transaction all over again. Pain, but 3% is worth something.

Ideas for end of school: I'm probably too late here. Anyway, what about water balloon tosses and relay games at a park? I just came home from 2 hours of that. Wish the park had had more benches--the grass is a long way down right now.

I have no advice on how to keep the girls from throwing themselves at your gorgeous boys. At least the girls have good taste. :)

Chris and Elaine said...

Life is crazy sometimes and gripping about it always seems to help me. I'm feeling the gas crunch too except the gas pump I went to wouldn't let me go over $100! Isn't that ironic? I'm so glad you are teaching at Molasky next year. I need all the eyes and ears I can get! As for the forward girls-you better get used to it because you will probably have boys writing the same thing to Kira next year. :)

Lynt said...

Well, I can solve all your problems with one simple answer. Move to Utah like you promised you would like 2 years ago!!! That's what you get for going back on your word. Reece needs Tra.

By the way... I was reading your marriage tag, and started rolling on the ground laughing when you said you stick your foot in your mouth. I'm adding a post to my blog regarding your comment. You'll have to check it out.

Love and miss you!