CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, April 18, 2008

Spring Has Sprung






So for those of you who don't already know ( I talk about it all the time), I love gardening. I didn't even know I liked it until we moved into this house and we had a yard big enough to do something with :) So I thought I'd post my "new plantings" in my garden and later I'll show you how it looks full grown. I've planted corn, squash, tomatoes, bell peppers, serrano peppers, zuchinni, cilantro, rosemary, snap peas, green beans, and mammoth sunflowers. I know it's weird, but a garden grows well in Las Vegas from March to June and Sept. to Nov. I have a lot of fun with it. Plus I posted some pictures of the flower garden I have growing in the front of my house. There is nothing more relaxing to me to go outside and water my plants...I know, I'm weird. It smells so good on my front porch because of the jasmine and the roses. The kids and I really have a good time with it all.
So anyway, I was sitting out there yesterday, smelling my flowers and watching my kids ride their bikes. It was a perfect moment...those kind that just make you so grateful. I was thinking about a friend of a friend of mine who lost her battle to cancer and left behind her husband and four year old daughter. She had battled cancer for quite a while and I wondered if she had any of those perfect moments like that. Her love and zest for her family and life were evident in her blog. You could tell she would stop and smell the roses life had given her, despite her adversities. On my porch, I have a rock I won at Bunco that says "hope". As I sat there contemplating all of this, the rock took on a different meaning. I hope I can remember to take nothing for granted and to cherish all of life...ups and downs. I hope I will pause and take note of the perfect times. And I hope I will remember that we are never alone....Life is so very wonderful!
On a lighter note....I hope I will be able to make it through giving a talk this sunday :) It's me and the bishop. I've been thinking about it all week and it just hasn't come together yet....hope it does soon!

4 comments:

Hammond Family said...

Beautiful garden!! I have enjoyed gardening and working out in the yard even more since moving to a larger yard!! So fun! Now if we can do something about the snow so I can actually do something outside! lol Oh, best of luck on your talk, you'll do wonderful!!

Leslie said...

I LOVE your flowers Becky! They are so beautiful... I am jealous! I REALLY want to do that to my yard. I miss my flowers so much. It was a love of mine that I need to get back! I love coming up to your front door it smells HEAVENLY and looks AWESOME! :P

Laurie said...

You really do have a green thumb!

Valerie said...

Love the pics of your garden and flowers. So pretty, Beck! There is something wonderful about watering your flowers and taking in their beauty and smell. Loved your thoughts on Laurie's friend. Isn't it amazing how we didn't even know her, but she has helped us all to reflect and think about what really matters in life?