CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Terrible, Horrible, No good, Very Bad Day

If you've every read the book about Alexander and his terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day...then that would let you know what my day was like today. I will not bore you with details, but it has been a long time since I've had a "a day like today". It seemed like just one little thing piled upon another and another and another...until BAM...Cruddy Day. Luckily for me, Heavenly Father blessed me with some very sweet children. Let me back track for a minute...I do not watch much T.V., but I have three vices--E.R., Grey's Anatomy, and any kind of doctor progrom on the Discovery Channel. Yes, I too wonder why I didn't become a doctor...probably because I wanted to rake in the big bucks as a teacher. :0) Anyway, I've watched E.R. since it's inception, got hooked on Grey's Anatomy two years ago, and am obsessed with watching surgeries. Now to continue with my no good day.

So I'm marching around the house this evening, venting on everyone and everything and finally decided to just go get in my pajamas. I change my clothes (still quite irritable) when in comes my youngest daughter Celine. She gives me that look like she completely understands what I'm feeling and sweetly says "Mommy, you're my best friend. Do you want me to watch a doctor show with you?" And that was that....the end of my terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day. One sweet little smile and everything melted away.

*Was anything that bad today that I couldn't go on? nope
*Were any of my children injured or sick? nope
*Am I healthy and strong -- able to do laundry, do chores, and drive a car? yep
*Did my husband come home from work safely and did we have food 0n the table and a roof over our head? yep
*Am I blessed with a knowledge of the atonement, my life on earth, and my eternal life? yep
*Did I get to stare at the faces of my beautiful children as they played in the backyard? yep
*And the real question, did I know whether or not someone in my family had a day that they felt was just like mine? no......quite sadly, no

I obviously got a little bit too wrapped up in my own day. :( I will have to remember all of this for when I experience another day like today. I am blessed beyond measure--in more ways than I can count and am truly grateful for the gifts Heavenly Father has given me. So for now, I'm going to say family prayer with the people I love most and make sure I know exactly how their days went. I'm going to kiss my "hot hubby" good night and let him know I appreciate his patience. I'm going to snuggle in bed and watch a doctor show with my beautiful little girl. Then I'm going to count my blessings until I fall asleep.

And to all of you....thanks for being my friends. I forgot to mention that I have all these great people who will listen to me gripe and gush all in one posting......Isn't life wonderful? Truly Blessed!!!!

7 comments:

Laurie said...

Well, I'm sorry for your Terrible, Horrible, No good, Very Bad Day. But, I don't really feel like I helped you by listening to you gripe, because you didn't. I'm a detail girl.

Anyway, I'm glad Celine was able to salvage the day for you. That's why we make those little cuties, isn't it? Call me when you're home.

Leslie said...

I am sorry Becky! You are so good to look on the bright side. I need to follow your example more. I have a bad day like that and just let it linger and linger! So, thanks for your good example! I hope today is better for you! You are awesome! It's nice to know that we all go through the same things, it helps!!! Love ya~!!

Jamie and Mike said...

Becky...all I can say is that you continually amaze me with your great attitude.

I can totally relate with the bad day and then one of your kids does or says something that just melts everything away. I need to be better with seeing the glass half full instead of half empty. That happened to me last week.

Anyway...you know I love our griping/venting sessions because they're usually filled with a lot of laughing too!

Have a better day!!

FAMILY FAMILY FAMILY said...

I sure wish I was there. This sounds like a need for a lunch date with the girls! Hang in there, and just know that I totally appreciate your example of optimism, and enjoying life! Your family is really blessed to have you. kelli

Kristin said...

Okay, you handle your terrible, horrible, no good very bad days much better than me. Thanks for getting me back on track. I too love the doctor shows, though Matt tears them apart saying how that's not how it really is. He than gets going about his latest day and it's like a show all over again. He is now on trauma, and Val is so excited for the stories, blood and gore, if only I could share them without worrying about lawsuits.

Valerie said...

Isn't amazing how changing into your pajamas can be so theraputic? And Celine is such a cutie. I'm sorry you had a crumy day. But you are very positive anyway. Today, I was having a day of all days too and Owen, who had been being a rascal, came up to me and said, "Mama I make you laugh?" It was so funny and definitely got a smile out of me and a little laugh. I'm glad we have these little ones to help us snap out of it when we need to. Here's to better days!

Hammond Family said...

Becki, I wished that I still lived by you! You have such a great attitude towards life, even when you have a bad day! I think tonight I will fall asleep thinking about all my many blessings! Thanks for the idea!
P.S. I'm addicted to ER too. Have been since the very first show:)