CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, August 15, 2008

What Ten Years Can Do

So as all of you know, I went back to work this week. I have now attended two days that were full of meetings and one day over at my new school. It has been eight years since I taught full-time and ten years since I opened the school I am returning to as a teacher this fall. I have noticed some things this week that are vastly different.....all in just ten years.

1. There are specific rules for cell phones and ipods at school. I think cell phones were still giant when I taught last....you know, like the kind that had antennas which easily could poke an eye out. Now they are small, inconspicuous, and they type.

2. There is something called a dot camera that is readily used in the classroom. HELP!!! I have no idea what this is and I didn't want to ask and look dumb because everybody else knew what it was except for me and another returning housewife (we talked about this too). Now that I'm typing this I realize it would've been better to have asked than to announce my ignorance to the entire blogging world....oh well.

3. Modesty is gone out the window for the majority of junior high students. Thank you for being a good example all of you out there who still care about what your appearance means to those around you :0) I am a little bummed that I can't wear my spandex and midriff to school....it would've looked so nice.

4. There is A LOT of technology.....I don't know where to start. I can hardly control this blogspot and it took me 3 1/2 hours to figure out how to input info. on my son's football team website that I am in charge of updating. This could prove highly difficult.

5. Lesson plans....this one is crazy. In order to plan, I have a set of state standards, a course syllabus, a set of county standards, the power standards and the course benchmarks. Somehow I'm supposed to combine all of these items into one lesson. Maybe the one room schoolhouse wasn't so bad after all.

6. My body is definitely not fitting as well into my teacher's chair, teaching clothes, and isle ways. Must start exercising.....just think if I had started that ten years ago....

7. Clark county school district has raised my salary about $13,000 since the 90's. Too bad it's still very low compared to the cost of living here and most teacher's cannot buy homes until they have a master's degree.

8. My brain is not functioning right. I spent an hour and a half standing in my empty room figuring out where I wanted my desk to be. It seems like before I just picked a spot and went with it. This time around, I went through about 30 scenarios of where the students would come in, how they would sit etc. etc. Most of the time, I just sat there too overwhelmed to do anything and then finally it all came to me and I moved all the furniture myself including the wardrobe closets because I didn't want to wait for the janitors to do it.

9. Another ten year change....my back cannot handle moving wardrobe closets. I paid for my impatience. when did my body go straight downhill?

10. And lastly, most things have not changed. Teachers are still the people who shape and mold the world's future. Students are all inherently good and desire to do well in their lives. The four walls of a classroom are still empty canvasses waiting to be filled with motivating posters, student work, and colorful artwork. And public education has still revolutionalized our nation. That's pretty awesome!

So amidst all the changes, I find myself rededicated to the task at hand. My panic and confidence are shifting places on a regular basis, so I jump from highs to lows on a moment's notice. I wonder if I can reach all of my students? Can I give them something more in their life? Can I help them know they are special, unique, and so precious in this world? Can I be an example that will someday come back to them in a positive light? Can I motivate them to want to seek knowledge? Can I help them embrace diversity and relish in life's differences? Can I help them feel the love I have for each of them? Can I be a teacher they will remember because they felt secure in my classroom? Can I provide the consistency needed to raise the expectations of every child? Can I teach and respect every child the way I would like my child taught and respected? These are the questions that plague my mind nightly. When I finished college, I was ready to go out and change the world. I didn't ask questions.....I just went and did it. After having children and knowing the importance of my position, I feel the weight of the task at hand. My job makes a difference.....every day to every child. I can lift them higher than they believe they can with my attitude, desire, and enthusiasm. So really, the question is not "Can I?"....it is "Will I?"

Will I help one of Heavenly Father's children to see their potential, grasp onto their future, and reach for their goals? Yes.......without a doubt yes!!!! This is going to be an awesome year :)

11 comments:

Kristin said...

Becky, you rock!!! You will be able to do all those things, because you are already thinking about them. No clue about the camera, guess I'm old school too.

Leslie said...

WOW! What a busy/overwhelming week! I just think those kids are so lucky to have you! I wish you were at OUR middle school! Good luck with it all~ you will do great!

Don and Kelley said...

BeckyI don't want you to feel bad, Don has no idea what that camera is either. He has never heard of it. Hang in there, you will do great!

Valerie said...

Wow, Becky, thanks for sharing those thoughts. You'll do great! The kids will love you and learn so much from you. They're truly lucky to have you and your example :)

FAMILY FAMILY FAMILY said...

The answer...yes, you can. I know because you have already affected my little Zac and myself in these ways! You're still my favorite teacher that any of my kids have ever had. AND...you always inspire me to be a better mom, a better friend, and a better person...and besides, you totally make me laugh, and I think even kids in school need to laugh! Sorry to be mushy, but please know that I'm very sincere! Love yu, and good luck with the school year! kelli

Nau Willis said...

I have the utmost respect for teachers you have no idea. I always go out of my way to let Prestons teachers know how much I appreciate what they do. I think they are underpaid and under appreciated by parents who dont see thier true value! I think ANY student who would have you as a teacher is VERY lucky...whats that dot thing anyway?lol

Laurie said...

You are such a great teacher. Just give it a week, and you'll be back in the saddle. I can totally see you sitting in a room, confounded about how to organize it. :) I'm sure it looks great (and I bet you're also satisfied because you don't want to move the wardrobes again).

Now, how can I get you to be my kids' teacher?

Jamie and Mike said...

Oh how I wish all teachers were like you! You are the best teacher ever! That school is about to find out just how lucky they are to have you. You're going to have an amazing year.

Hammond Family said...

You are going to be AWESOME!! Those students are gso lucky to have you as a teacher. It shows you care and are going to be great just by the things you were wondering about, how many teachers wonder about whether they are "really" making a difference in a childs life?? We need more teachers just like you, especially in jr. high!!
On another note, I haven't been in YW since Ryan was put in the bishopric back in November. Let me tell you, it was a sad say for me when i got released :( Tell me what kind of things your looking for and I'll see what I can come up whith!! heatherangel76@hotmail.com

Hammond Family said...

I'm such a dork! Sorry for the major typo's, it's been a slooooooooow morning for me, and I can't type very well with a 1yr. old on my lap either!!! But I think you get what I'm saying!! :)

Brett and Heather said...

Okay...everyone has said the same thing, but it is true...You will do awesome!!!!
It gives me some peace knowing there is someone at the at school looking over the few kids in our ward that go there. I have no idea what your plans are in the future but I would be elated if you are still at that school when my girls go there. It's dumb for me to worry about middle school already, but I do. Teachers are the best and so under appreciated. Especially those like you who want to make them better people and teach them a little something.